Monday, June 23, 2008

Recurring fantasy

I imagine myself several years in the future, having entered the police force and been assigned to riot control. The great showdown between the abused masses and corporate elites is about to take place. Thousands of riot police form a barrier to the capitol building, blocking millions of enraged proletarians. At the moment of greatest tension, when the crowd begins to edge forward and the cops brace to tear them limb from limb, I take a few steps forward. I brandish my baton high above my head, and over the disgruntled roars of millions, I turn back toward the line and yell "Spartaaa!" (or whatever city-state I'm feeling like that day). I plunge into the police line, shield thrusting mightily like an enormous freedom phallus, breaking a gap in the lines. The crowd follows, and everything descends into darkness.

No comments: